Rules and Regulation
2019 NTD Television International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition
Rules and Regulation
The mission of the International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition is to bring forth the essence of Chinese martial arts, provide contestants with an opportunity to advance their martial arts skills, and help improve contestants’ moral conduct based on Martial Arts principles. The competition also aims to promote traditional Chinese culture and display true martial arts values to the world.
The Global NTD Martial Arts Competition is organized by New Tang Dynasty Television (NTD). The finals will be broadcast live on NTD’s TV network, Facebook pages and YouTube channels.
Panel of Judges
The panel of judges for this Competition is composed of highly experienced Chinese Martial Arts experts. The Competition’s Organizing Committee has also invited Masters from various martial arts systems to serve as consultants to the Competition.
Competition Categories, content and requirements
1. Competition divisions
(1) Unarmed hand (Male, Female and Junior):
Includes Long Fist styles such as Cha Quan, Hua (flower) Quan, Pao Quan, Hong Quan, Hua (China) Quan, Shaolin, etc. It also includes other external fist styles such as Mian Quan, Tong Bei, Praying Mantis, Fanzi Quan, Ba Chi Quan (Eight Extremes Fist), etc. and internal fist styles such as Ba Gua, Xing Yi, etc.
(2) Southern Fist Category:
Includes southern fist styles such as Hung Ga, Lau Ga, Choy Ga, Li Ga, Mok Ga, Buddha Style, Crane Style, Wing Chun, etc.
(3) Weapon Category (divided into male and female divisions):
Includes external weapons such as Sword, Broadsword, Spear, Staff, etc., and internal weapons such as Xing Yi Sword, Xing Yi Broadsword and Xing Yi Spear, as well as Yuanyang Blades, Qian Kun Circular Blades, etc.
I. In order to allow martial arts to be passed down to future generations, we have added a junior category for both open hand and weapons divisions.
II. Flexible metal broad swords and straight swords used in modern Wushu do not meet the requirements of this competition and cannot be used, however the contestants in the junior category are not subject to this rule.
2. Entry Requirements
(1) Age requirement: Age 10-60.
If a contestant’s age does not meet this requirement, the contestant may still apply. However, the contestant must include his/her martial arts experience and physical condition in the application in order for the judging committee to consider his/her candidacy.
(2) Junior category:
Males and females compete together, age range 10 – 18 years old (Birth dates from 2000 to 2008)
3. An internal style form should be limited to 3 minutes and should include most of the traditional techniques of the related style.
4. An external style form should be limited to 2 minutes and should include most of the traditional techniques of the related style.
5. Exceptions to the duration limit requires advanced approval upon registration.
6. Contestants must be well experienced in the category that they apply for. Beginners should not apply. This contest is for advanced martial arts practitioners only.
7. Each contestant can apply up to two categories for the preliminary round of this competition. Only one form is allowed for each category. Based on the score of the preliminary round, a contestant can only advance to the semi-final round in the category with better score.
1. The Competition is divided into three rounds: Preliminaries, Semi-finals, and Finals.
2. USA (North American region), Taiwan preliminaries (Asia Pacific region), Dresden, Germany preliminaries (European region).
3. Preliminaries, semi-finals and finals will be split into the following divisions: male unarmed, female unarmed, male weapons, female weapons, Southern Fist, junior unarmed and junior weapons.
4. The Panel of Judges will determine who will advance to the semi-finals after the preliminaries and who will advance to the finals after the semi-finals.
1. All contestants must register in advance. This year’s competition does not accept on-site registration.
2. The registration date, contact method, registration fee, remittance account number, mailing method, etc. of each competition area (North America Division,Asia Pacific Division, European Division ), please refer to the website “Competition Application”.
3. Application Package:
(1) All applicants must fill out the Application Form (downloadable at “Competition Application”)
．Your Martial Arts resume (personal experience, copies of award certificates, etc)
．Please also provide photocopies of all awards for validation.
(2) Contestants must submit two 1×1 inch color photos and a photocopy of a valid ID. A digital file of the photo is preferred.
(3) All forms must be legible, signed and filled out in their entirety.
(4) A copy of the payment confirmation of registration fee. The forms can be mailed to the Competition’s Organizing Committee via registered mail. All mailed information is non-returnable.
4. For players who have special circumstances and cannot pay in advance, the organizing committee requires a formal written request to delay payment. When the registration fee is paid for the registration, an additional fee of USD 20 will be charged.
5. Registered Express Mail Fee: For contestants who need U.S. entry visa, please indicate this on the competition registration form. Also, please pay US$50 Registered Express Mail Fee for visa documents mailing.
1. The preliminaries, semi-finals and finals all feature the following divisions:
Male Unarmed, Female Unarmed, Male Weapons, Female Weapons, Southern Fist, Junior Unarmed and Junior Weapons (age of 10-18 years old).
．Gold Prize: $5000 USD (before tax), plus a sword made by a master sword maker.
．Silver Prize: $3000 USD (before tax)
．Bronze Prize: $1000 USD (before tax)
(2) Junior Unarmed and Junior Weapons divisions
．Gold Prize: $3000 USD (before tax), plus a weapon created by a master craftsman.
．Silver Prize: $1000 USD (before tax)
．Bronze Prize: $800 USD (before tax)
Note: According to U.S. tax regulations, if a prize winner is a foreign person (nonresident aliens and foreign entities), up to 30% of the prize winnings are subject to tax withhold. It is the contestant’s personal responsibility to file tax returns and obtain tax refunds.
1. Any competition form must conform to the traditional martial arts characteristics of the related martial arts style.
2. The Panel of Judges will evaluate each contestant’s performance according to the characteristics of the related martial arts style.
- The Scoring Criteria of the Internal Fists / Weapons include movement quality, content, power, coordination, structure, layout, style, energy and rhythm.
- The Scoring Criteria of the External Fists / Weapons include body posture and coordination, clarity, strength and fluid motion, content and style, focus and rhythm.
- Long Fist forms and Weapons should include their traditional acrobatic techniques (i.e. single/double jump kick, spring kick, etc.) or acrobatics/flips (aerial cartwheel, spinning crescent kick or tornado kick, butterfly kick, etc). Traditional hand forms without acrobatic techniques such as Ba Chi Quan (Eight Extreme Fists) or Tong Bei will not require jumps or acrobatic techniques.
3. Martial Arts Ethics: Contestants should wear traditional martial arts costume and formally greet the judges before and after their form demonstration (such as bowing, baoquan, or pairing palms). Contestants should place the Martial Arts moral code as the top priority and conduct themselves with proper etiquette. Any inappropriate behavior will result in disqualification from the competition.
4. Contestants should finish the movements within the allotted time. Going over or below the time limit will result in score deduction.
5. The Panel of Judges has the right of final interpretation about the result of this competition.
Date and Location
Please refer to the website “Competition Application”.
Accommodation and Transportation
1. The Competition’s Organizing Committee will recommend hotels in USA for contestants.
2. Contestants and their entourage are responsible for their own accommodation and transportation.
1. Upon registration, contestants acknowledge the validity of the Rules and Regulations for the Competition.
2. Contestants must follow the arrangements by the Competition’s Organizing Committee. The Committee has the right to revoke violators’ eligibilities and the prizes awarded.
3. All contestants must be present at the award ceremony to receive their awards. No representative will be allowed. Awards of the absent contestants will be deemed as abandoned.
4. The decisions of the Panel of Judges for all rounds shall be final. The Panel of Judges does not accept appeals.
5. NTD Television is entitled to all copyrights of audio and video products made during the Competition.
6. Contestants will take personal responsibility for any accident or injury that occurs during the course of the competition.
7. The Competition’s Organizing Committee shall have the ultimate authority to interpret the Rules and Regulations for the Competition and have the right to make any changes to them as necessary.
The Organizing Committee of NTD International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition
Updated on October 13th, 2018