Martial Arts: Rules and Regulation
The mission of the International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition is to bring forth the essence of Chinese martial arts, provide contestants with an opportunity to advance their martial arts skills, and help improve contestants’ moral conduct based on Martial Arts principles. The competition also aims to promote traditional Chinese culture and display true martial arts values to the world.
The International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition is hosted by New Tang Dynasty (NTD) Television. NTD will broadcast the Competition proceedings around the world.
Panel of Judges
The panel of judges for this Competition is composed of highly experienced Chinese Martial Arts experts. The Competition’s Organizing Committee has also invited Masters from various martial arts systems to serve as consultants to the Competition.
Eligibilities and Requirements
1. Competition Categories:
- A. Fist Category (divided into male and female divisions): includes Long Fist styles such as Cha Quan, Hua (flower) Quan, Pao Quan, Hong Quan, Hua (China) Quan, Shaolin, etc. It also includes other external fist styles such as Mian Quan, Tong Bei, Praying Mantis, Fanzi Quan, Ba Chi Quan (Eight Extremes Fist), etc. and internal fist styles such as Ba Gua, Xing Yi, etc.
- B. Southern Fist Category: includes southern fist styles such as Hung Ga, Lau Ga, Choy Ga, Li Ga, Mok Ga, Buddha Style, Crane Style, Wing Chun, etc.
- C. Weapon Category (divided into male and female divisions): includes external weapons such as Sword, Broadsword, Spear, Staff, etc., and internal weapons such as Xing Yi Sword, Xing Yi Broadsword and Xing Yi Spear, as well as Yuanyang Blades, Qian Kun Circular Blades, etc.
Note: Contemporary Wushu soft metal weapons are inappropriate for this competition.
2. An internal style form should be limited to 3 minutes and should include most of the traditional techniques of the related style.
3. An external style form should be limited to 2 minutes and should include most of the traditional techniques of the related style.
4. Exceptions to the duration limit requires advanced approval upon registration.
5. Contestants must be well experienced in the category that they apply for. Beginners should not apply. This contest is for advanced martial arts practitioners only.
6. Age requirement: Age 10-60. If a contestant’s age does not meet this requirement, the contestant may still apply. However, the contestant must include his/her martial arts experience and physical condition in the application in order for the judging committee to consider his/her candidacy.
7. Each contestant can apply up to two categories for the preliminary round of this competition. Only one form is allowed for each category. Based on the score of the preliminary round, a contestant can only advance to the semi-final round in the category with better score.
Competition Categories and Procedures
1. The Competition is divided into three rounds: Preliminaries, Semi-finals, and Finals.
2. The preliminaries will be held in Taiwan (Asia-Pacific region) as well as New York (North America region). Contestants may choose to register for either site but not both. Please refer to the registration form for detailed information.
3. The competition categories for all three rounds are:
– Fist Category (divided into male and female divisions)
– Weapon Category (divided into male and female divisions)
– Southern Fist Category
4. The Panel of Judges will determine who will advance to the semi-finals after the preliminaries and who will advance to the finals after the semi-finals.
1. Date: Registration begins on January 1st, 2016.
The registration deadline is May 25th, 2016 for Asia-Pacific region and September 9th, 2016 for North America region. All contestants must register in advance. This year’s competition does not accept on-site registration.
2. Methods of Registration for North America region:
- (1) Internet: http://martialarts.ntdtv.com
- (2) Email: martialartsglobalcompetitions.org
- (3) Hotline: 1-646-736-2988
- (4) Fax: 1-212-918-3479
- (5) Mail: 229 W. 28th Street, Suite 700, New York, NY 10001, USA.
Please address to: NTD Television International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition Organizing Committee.
3. Methods of Registration for Asia-Pacific region:
- (1) Hotline: (+886) 2-5571-3838 ext 1203
- (2) Cell Phone: (+886)-958-994-476 (Mr. Wang)
- (3) E-mail: martialartsap.ntdtv.com
- (4) Fax: (886)-2-5571-3901
- (5) Mail: No.102 B1, Songlong Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City 11063, Taiwan (R.O.C.).
Please address to: NTD Television International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition Organizing Committee (AP Region)
4. Application Package:
- (1) All applicants must fill out the Application Form (downloadable at martialarts.ntdtv.com) with personal and professional background (including personal martial arts experience and past awards). Please also provide photocopies of all awards for validation.
- (2) Contestants must submit two 1×1 inch color photos and a photocopy of a valid ID. A digital file of the photo is preferred.
- (3) All forms must be legible, signed and filled out in their entirety.
- (4) The forms can be mailed to the Competition’s Organizing Committee via registered mail. All mailed information is non-returnable.
5. Application Fee:
- (1) North America Region:
– Application fee is US$50 for one preliminary category; US$80 for two preliminary categories.
– Method of payment: cash, traveler’s check, money orders or credit card. Please make checks payable to “New Tang Dynasty Television”.Note: A contestant’s registration becomes valid only after the registration fee is paid. For individuals who cannot prepay the registration fee due to special circumstances may delay their payment by submitting a written request to the competition organizing committee. However, an additional US$20 late fee will be charged if the payment is made on the competition site.
- (2) Asia-Pacific Region:
– Application fee is NT$300 (New Taiwan dollar) for a student with a valid student ID, and NT$800 for non-students.
– Method of payment: post office account transfer, wire transfer, check, cash, etc.
– Within Taiwan: Please use the post office account transfer. The account number is: 50105684. Account name: NTD Asia-Pacific TV Company Ltd.
– Outside of Taiwan: Please download and fill out the Registration Form to register through mailing, fax or email and pay the registration fee on the competition site.
6. Registered Express Mail Fee: For contestants who need U.S. entry visa, please indicate this on the competition registration form. Also, please pay US$50 Registered Express Mail Fee for visa documents mailing.
The Competition is divided into following categories: Fist Category (male division and female division), Weapon Category (male division and female division), and Southern Fist Category. Each of the five divisions will generally have one Gold Award, one Silver Award, one Bronze Award and multiple Honorable Mention Awards. The number of awarded contestant
- Gold Award winners will receive US$5,000.
- Silver Award winners will receive US$3,000.
- Bronze Award winners will receive US$1,000.
Note: According to U.S. tax regulations, if a prize winner is a foreign person (nonresident aliens and foreign entities), up to 30% of the prize winnings are subject to tax withhold. It is the contestant’s personal responsibility to file tax returns and obtain tax refunds.
1. Any competition form must conform to the traditional martial arts characteristics of the related martial arts style.
2. The Panel of Judges will evaluate each contestant’s performance according to the characteristics of the related martial arts style.
- The Scoring Criteria of the Internal Fists / Weapons include movement quality, content, power, coordination, structure, layout, style, energy and rhythm.
- The Scoring Criteria of the External Fists / Weapons include body posture and coordination, clarity, strength and fluid motion, content and style, focus and rhythm.
- Long Fist forms and Weapons should include their traditional acrobatic techniques (i.e. single/double jump kick, spring kick, etc.) or acrobatics/flips (aerial cartwheel, spinning crescent kick or tornado kick, butterfly kick, etc). Traditional hand forms without acrobatic techniques such as Ba Chi Quan (Eight Extreme Fists) or Tong Bei will not require jumps or acrobatic techniques.
3. Martial Arts Ethics: Contestants should wear traditional martial arts costume and formally greet the judges before and after their form demonstration (such as bowing, baoquan, or pairing palms). Contestants should place the Martial Arts moral code as the top priority and conduct themselves with proper etiquette. Any inappropriate behavior will result in disqualification from the competition.
4. Contestants should finish the movements within the allotted time. Going over or below the time limit will result in score deduction.
5. The Panel of Judges has the right of final interpretation about the result of this competition.
Date and Location
- Asia Pacific Preliminaries will be held on June 4th, 2016 at National Taiwan University Sports Center, 1 Roosevelt Rd, Section 4, Taipei, Taiwan.
- North America Preliminaries will be held on September 17th, 2016 at 47 Academy Ave, Middletown, NY 10940, USA.
Semifinals, Final and Award Ceremony: will be held on September 18th, 2016 at 47 Academy Ave, Middletown, NY 10940, USA.
Accommodation and Transportation
1. The Competition’s Organizing Committee will recommend hotels in New York and Taiwan for contestants.
Recommended hotel in New York (group discount is available booking after July 6th, 2016):
Days Inn, 2247 Greenville Tpke, Port Jervis, NY 12771. Tel: +1-845-856-6611.
2. Contestants and their entourage are responsible for their own accommodation and transportation.
1. Upon registration, contestants acknowledge the validity of the Rules and Regulations for the Competition.
2. Contestants must follow the arrangements by the Competition’s Organizing Committee. The Committee has the right to revoke violators’ eligibilities and the prizes awarded.
3. All contestants must be present at the award ceremony to receive their awards. No representative will be allowed. Awards of the absent contestants will be deemed as abandoned.
4. The decisions of the Panel of Judges for all rounds shall be final. The Panel of Judges does not accept appeals.
5. NTD Television is entitled to all copyrights of audio and video products made during the Competition.
6. Contestants will take personal responsibility for any accident or injury that occurs during the course of the competition.
7. The Competition’s Organizing Committee shall have the ultimate authority to interpret the Rules and Regulations for the Competition and have the right to make any changes to them as necessary.
The Organizing Committee of NTD International Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition
Completed on January 1st, 2016
Updated on January 28th, 2016