Dates and Location
The 2019 competition live rounds will be held at Engelman Recital Hall, Baruch Performing Arts Center in New York City.
The competition will consist of one qualification round and three separate live competition rounds: Preliminary, Semifinal, and Final.
2019 Live Rounds Schedule
Orientation: September 25, 2019
Preliminary: September 26, 2019
Semifinal: September 27, 2019
Final: September 28, 2019
Award Ceremony & Banquet: September 28, 2019
Rules & Regulations
The pianists will be judged by a jury appointed by the NTDTV Competition Committee. The Jury for the NTD International Piano Competition will be composed of professional veteran pianists as well as piano educators, and they will be responsible for judging the contestants’ performances. The decisions of the panel for all rounds shall be final.
Pianists will be judged on:
- Adherence to the style of the composer, musical period and musical form
- Clarity of tone with positive energy
- Pianistic techniques
- Presentation and execution with grace and nobility
- Contestants must wear conservative formal performance attire during all rounds of the competition. Improper attire may result in disqualification.
- Required attire for men includes dark-colored suits or tuxedos; required attire for women is formal evening gown.
- One Gold Award will receive US$10,000
- One Silver Award will receive US$6,000
- One Bronze Award will receive US$3,000
- One Best Rendition Award of The Commissioned Composition US$3,000 (Prize sponsored by RiskVal)
- Semifinal and Final of the competition will be broadcasted through live stream video on the Internet. The recording of the competition will be edited into a TV special to broadcast on NTD’s TV network.
- Contestants are required to play from memory.
- The panel retains the right to stop during a performance.
- By applying to the competition, contestants acknowledge the validity of the Rules and Regulations for the Competition.
- Contestants must abide by the arrangements of the Competition’s Organization Committee. The Committee reserves the right to revoke the eligibilities and the prizes should a contestant be found in violation.
- New Tang Dynasty Television is entitled to all copyrights of visual, text, audio, and video products made during the competition.
- All awards must be accepted by the contestant in person at the award ceremony. Absence at the award ceremony constitutes forfeiture of the awards and prizes.
- It is the contestant’s full responsibility to handle any unexpected situations during the duration of the competition.
- The Competition’s Organization Committee shall have the ultimate authority to interpret the Rules and Regulations for the competition and have the right to make any changes to them as necessary.
2019 NTD International Piano Competition Repertoire
Preliminary Round (2 pieces)
- J. S. Bach Prelude and Fugue in A Minor BWV894 10:00
Any Prelude and Fugue from J.S. Bach Well Tempered Clavier Book I and II.
- Please select one of the following:
- Saint-Saëns: Études, op. 52 No. 6, “En forme de valse”
- Saint-Saëns: Études, op. 111 No. 6, “Toccata d’après le cinquième concerto”
- One Chopin Etude from following :
- Op.10: No.1, No.2, No.4, No.7, No.8, No.10, No.12
- Ор. 25: No.6, No.8, No.10, No.11, No.12
Semifinal Round (20 min.) (2 pieces)
- Commissioned piece 6-8 min
- Beethoven Sonata (Entire piece will be performed, no repeats)
- Sonata No. 3 in C Major, op. 2 No. 3
- Sonata No. 17 in D Minor, op. 31 No. 2
- Sonata No. 18 in E-flat Major, op. 31 No. 3
Final Round (40 min.)
Final Round will consist of 40 minutes program comprised of works chosen by the pianist. No pieces can be played twice in the competition. (Compositions must have been written before 1900 and must be from the Baroque, Classical, or Romantic period. Please submit your proposed selection for committee’s approval.)
Please reference repertoire list from our past competitions
- Rachmaninoff Piano Sonata no.2 (Original version 1913) 14:00
- Bach-Busoni Chaconne in D minor 14:15
- Frank Prelude Choral and Fugue 17:21
- Chopin Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brillante op.22 14:00
- Robert Schumann, Symphonic Etudes, Op.13
- Combination of Rachmaninoff Etudes-Tableaux, Op.33 and Op.39 (group by 3 or 4)
- Mendelssohn Variations Serieusesm op.54 (12:25)
Participants of the competition will be judged on
- Faithful rendition of the original style of the form, the musical period, and the composer
- Tone color
- Presentation and execution with grace and nobility
Additional details are explained in the following interview with jury member, Ms. Becky Yao.
Questions and Answers
Q. What is the Competition’s application and registration process?
Please read the “Rules & Regulations” prior to registration.
1) Fill out the online or downloaded form of the application.
Download 2019 NTDTV International Piano Competition Application Form (PDF, 2.1 MB)
2) Select or create audition video(s), for solo performance, or in collaboration with an orchestra/ensemble, or recordings within the last 24 months: the duration of the video(s) must exceed 10 minutes but be less than 30 minutes. The pieces included in the audition video(s) need to be classical piano music, but do not have to be Baroque to Romantic eras as the competition repertoire requires. Application Form C or its counterpart section in the online application must be submitted along with the audition video(s).
You may choose one of the following methods to submit the application form:
a) Online registration: https://register.ntdtv.com/piano/index.php?language=English
b) Email the registration package to firstname.lastname@example.org
c) Mail the registration package to: 229 W. 28th St., 7th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
d) Fax: 1-212-918-3479
An application is only considered valid when all required application information and the application fee are submitted.
Q: Is there an age limit?
Applicants must be between the ages of 17-40 during the time of the competition.
Q: How much is the application fee?
In general, a nonrefundable fee of 250.00 USD shall apply.
Q: Will the Competition Organizing Committee help arrange airline tickets to New York and accommodations / practice sites during the live rounds of the competition?
No, but the Competition Organizing Committee will recommend New York hotels and practice facilities to all qualified live-round competition contestants.
Q: Who chooses the winners?
The Live Competition Jury Panel for the NTD International Piano Competition will be composed of professional veteran pianists and piano educators. They will be solely responsible for judging the contestants’ performances during the live rounds of the competition and select the winners. The decisions of the jury panel for all rounds shall be final. None of the juries will be teachers or relatives of the qualified contestants.
Q: When and how can I receive the commissioned piece?
The commissioned piece will only be emailed to registered applicants who are qualified for the second round competition in NYC. Contestants are required to play from memory.
Q: I have questions regarding this competition. To whom do I direct these questions?
You can always contact the competition committee by Email: email@example.com.
Competition is open to pianists of all nationalities whois proficient with a broad piano repertoire.
Applicant must be between the age of 17-40 during the time of the competition.
Contestants should send in audition video:
Applicants must submit one recent (within the last 6 months) DVD recording or concert/recital recording along with the application form. Submission pieces are restricted to Baroque, Classical, and Romantic period.
The media type of the video should be viewable online video link, video file download link, or DVD that contains recording(s) of the applicant’s performance (either solo performance or concerto with an orchestra/ensemble) , the duration of which must exceed ten (10) minutes and less than thirty (30) minutes.
Application Form C or its counterpart section in the online application must be submitted along with the audition video.
For contestants from certain geographic areas, an additional live-audition round may be scheduled before the live competition rounds in New York. Details of live-audition round will be announced on the website at least one month prior to the live-audition date.
After the qualification round, the Organization Committee will mail invitations to all qualified contestants. The invitations will enable the contestant to apply for visas to USA and register on the day of the competition.
Apply Now Download Application Form (PDF, 553 KB)
1. Application Deadline: TBD. All application materials must be received by the Organization Committee by the deadline.
2. Methods of Application:
Internet: Click here to register online
Mail: 229 W. 28th St., Suite 700, New York, NY 10001, USA
Attn: Organization Committee of 2016 NTD International Piano Competition
3. Applicants must provide the following application package:
- Completed Application Form for the 2019 NTD International Piano Competition (PDF, 553 KB). The signature of a legal guardian is required if applicant is under 18 years old.
- A recent photo taken within 12 months, preferably professional profile photo in electronic format.
- A copy of a valid legal ID.
- Audition video (details see Procedures and Competition Repertoire part of the regulation).
- The above application materials should be received by the Competition’s Organization Committee by the application deadline. All application materials shall not be returned.
4. Nonrefundable application fee: US$250, included a banquet on final day after master class. Accepted forms of payment are credit card, cashier’s check, traveler’s check, or money orders. Please make your check payable to New Tang Dynasty.
5. Registered express mail charges: for applicants who need to apply for visa to compete in the live preliminary round in the United States, please indicate so on the Application Form. Upon applicant’s qualification to the live preliminary round, an additional US$70 fee is needed to process the shipping and handling of invitation letter and visa materials via USPS Priority Mail Express International.
Gold Award Sponsors
Silver Award Sponsors
Bronze Award Sponsors
Best Rendition Award Sponsors